Friday, October 29, 2010

How Can Leaders Build Trust?

As I was reading my daily fix of http://www.investors.com/ because I am the next Warren Buffett (hardly!), I came across an article in the Leaders & Success section: http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=551922 written by Steve Watkins.
 
For those that don't know, the Leaders & Success section of the Investors' website has a lot of interesting stories about people that were considered exceptional leaders in their field and in life as well as what made them extremely successful. 
 
The article outlines eight different ways in which leaders and organizations as a whole can build trust to get ahead in the marketplace. Being the loquacious individual that I am, I will not touch on all of them and spare you my propensity to babble. However, there are a couple suggestions that I felt were worth highlighting.
 
“Open Up Internally”
I agree that leaders need to be transparent with their followers. Having them involved in setting strategy and gaining an understanding on how goals and budgets are set is important. I think what is missing from this article is to what level you get them involved. If you involve too many people you run the risk of analysis paralysis and end up never getting anything done to achieve your goals.
 
“Get Others On Board”
I like the fact that it talks about how a lack of trust will in essence force individuals to protect themselves as opposed to protecting the organization. This is completely true; however, I think what Mr. Watkins failed to concretely capture is how to achieve this one. 
 
“Be Transparent”
As with the other suggestion "Open Up Internally", I completely agree that a true leader (be it a person or organization) should be transparent. However, there are limits. To me morality, ethics, and character should draw that line in terms of how much transparency you provide. The only issue here is that a lot of so-called leaders fail in all three.
 
Are there other major ways leaders can gain trust that are not represented here? I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment